Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Garden Time!



Just an update from the fab back porch garden I've been working on since March when I started seeds. So...here it is! This is my lavender, thyme and rosemary container. The thyme needs to be pruned as it is TAKING OVER.

Here are the alpine strawberries since my existing strawberry plant bit the dust. I can't wait until it starts flowering and growing delicious berries. If you have never had an alpine strawberry, you are definitely missing out on a genuine strawberry experience. Alpine (sometimes known as wild strawberries) berries are small, unlike what you find in the grocery store, but are BIG on flavor.

DSC_1132 by you. This is my scarlet runner bean pot. I've never grown beans before, so I'm excited. I know they can't really grab onto the lame trellis I've given them, but they seem to have found the porch rails just fine.

DSC_1133 by you.
Baby Zucchini! Like other cucurbits I have known, it starts going crazy with male flowers before anything happens, so it's got lots of boy blooms on it. I saw one female one, but it kind of fizzled. This plant has also had some issues with powdery mildew due to some weird rainy, cool conditions it's been forced to contend with, but I think it will be just fine.
DSC_1134 by you.
Tomato and Basil planter. I've got two romas and three kinds of basil here. The romas are already blooming and the basils are doing well...especially the grocery store basil. Three years ago, I rooted some basil I got from the grocery store and it flowered while I was on my honeymoon. I harvested the seeds it gave and have been growing them ever since. They are strong little bugger and the seeds ALWAYS germinate. ALWAYS.


DSC_1138 by you.
A lemon cucumber plant of course...laden with male flowers. They're pretty, but no fruits will be coming from them. Waiting...
DSC_1139 by you.
Hot peppers and sweet peppers doing great.

DSC_1141 by you. Dwarf Okra with lettuce underplanted. I think I planted red sails lettuce, but I'm not sure.

DSC_1142 by you. Swiss Chard and Spinach! I can't wait to cook it!!!! The swiss chard is Bright Lights variety which are supposed to be lots of different colors, but all I seem to be getting are red and pink. That always happens though...occasionally, I'll see a yellow...whatever.

So there it is!! This is the first summer I have been able to use my porch for gardening and the back porch gets nice sunlight. It beats growing stuff on the fire escape and the roof.

0 comments:

Post a Comment